Did you know there is a "right" way to apply your skincare products?
Unless your parent was a beautician, dermatologist, or really high on the Type A personality spectrum, my guess is - "NO."
Similarly to caring for your teeth, there are essential steps for adequately caring for your skin. Below you will find the absolute basics to help you get started on the ritualistic and beautifying practice that skincare can become for you.
1) Before cleansing, you want to remove your makeup using an oil-based product such as Aveda's Creme Cleansing Oil. Alternatively, you can use a specialty oil, such as one from Bonum Vitae, which will not only help remove your makeup but will also provide tons of nutrients, and act as barrier of protection when cleansing your skin.
2) There are various perspectives regarding how many times a day you should wash your face, but as a general rule — after a workout, before bed to remove makeup, oil buildup, and pollutants, and in the morning for those with excessive oil production/acne-prone skin.
3) Dual cleanse, especially if you wear a lot of makeup or if your skin is very oily. Doing so will help to thoroughly remove makeup residue and will also prepare your skin to absorb your skincare products better.
4) Exfoliate 1-3 times per week, depending on your skin type/condition. Exfoliating the skin with a mild exfoliant (avoid using scrubs with microbeads as they can cause more harm than good when misused) will help to remove the buildup of dead skin cells as well help to increase circulation to the skin.
5) After cleansing, use a toner to help bring your skin's ph back into balance as cleansers serve to strip your skin, additionally, the right toner will help to nourish and hydrate the skin!
6) Serums - as a rule of thumb, if you are over the age of 30, it's time for a serum. The best way to determine which serum is most appropriate for you is to consult with a skin care professional, but some general favorites include Vitamin A and Vitamin C. I recommend Osmosis MD's Correct Serum and Lira Clinical's Intense C15 Booster with PSC. You can purchase both of these directly from me after receiving a free consultation.
7) Finally, seal your routine with an appropriate moisturizer selected according to your skin's needs and ALWAYS wear Spf in the AM!
Now, remember, the trick to skincare, like all self-care rituals, is a daily practice. It is estimated that 80% of your results will come from using professional, medical-grade, at-home skincare.
If you follow these simple steps, not only will you look your best, but you will feel it too!
In light and love, xoxo,